Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Decadent Decade: 1930s






I'd have to say that the movie Idlewild definitely made me fall in love with the fashion of the 1930s. Not to be all on his team or nothin', but Andre 3000 just really made the style of the 30s pop. Part of me sometimes wishes that we could go back to a time where it was customary for a man to have on a suit whenever he left the house and a hat adorning the top of his head 95% of the time. And in this case I'm not referring to fitteds. lol. I mean fedoras and pork pie hats. Stuff like that. Now I can't say that I'm too fond of the double breasted suit look of the 30s. And I most likely couldn't pull off the high-waisted pants due to my Carlton Banks stature, but still....there's just something about this era of fashion that I'm drawn too. Like I said before....perhaps it was just the movie Idlewild that did it to me. But I do like the long tails of the tuxedos. Not for EVERY event, but it sure seemed a classy look to hit 'em with from time to time. One style from the 30s that I KNOW I'd love to rock back then, however, is the plus fours! Man! I fell like I'd be able to put together a mean fit with those. For those of you wondering what those are, plus fours are trousers that extend 4 inches (10 cm) below the knee (and thus four inches longer than traditional knickerbockers, hence the name). I took that from Wikipedia. lol. You may also know them as "golf pants." I think the vest look of the 30s works for me too. As many of you may know that I'm certainly a fan of vest since I'm frequently seen rocking them during nights on the town. But with all that in mind, I'd have to say that I love looking back at previous decades and seeing what kind of fashions and styles were in at the time; especially when you start to notice them coming back and influencing today's fashion. Sorry, ladies for not focusing too much on your 30s-wear, but I couldn't have worn your clothes anyway so tough cookies! lol Naw I'm just playin'. I may throw some women's clothing in for the next decade I highlight. But until then....enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment